In Vietnamese culture, breakfast usually consists of beef or chicken phở, leftovers from the night before or cháo–a rice porridge. The phở and cháo were usually reserved for the weekends. We also boxes of sugar cereals that my sister and I begged our mother to purchase–but only if she had a coupon. Which box made it home that week depended on the toy inside.
Fast forward to our family breakfasts now. As a mother to two kids of my own, I look at breakfast differently. Sugary cereals are a treat (and the toys aren’t as cool). Weekday breakfasts consists of Greek yogurt topped with a sprinkle of brown sugar or homemade chocolate syrup; fresh fruit; or oatmeal.
Weekends are when we pull out all the stops. Everyone helps out in the kitchen to make a large bowl of buttery grits, scrambled eggs, bacon or ham, and pancakes. If there were fresh biscuits and hashed browns, this would be a true southern breakfast.
My husband and kids adore pancakes for breakfast. So over the years, I’ve perfected my version of fluffy, whole wheat pancakes. My secret ingredient isn’t buttermilk, but Stonyfield Greek yogurt. The yogurt helps them rise and keeps the moist.
Just when I thought the recipe couldn’t get any better, I added Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter blend to the batter.
I mean, Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter is amazing on its own. My kids begged to eat spoonfuls of it. I stir a spoon of it into my coffee when I want a treat.
It’s the best chocolate hazelnut butter spread I’ve ever taste it. The hazelnut flavor is strong with just the right hint of chocolate. My kids have never asked to eat pancakes for lunch, but they did when I made these. I’m glad I made a double batch to freeze.
Tip: Make a double batch to freeze for easy weekday breakfast. Heat in the microwave or toaster for a quick, protein packed breakfast!
Chocolate Hazelnut Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe
- 1¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup chocolate hazelnut butter
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cup milk
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the rest of the ingredients: Greek yogurt, chocolate hazelnut butter, egg, and milk. Whisk together until most of the yogurt and hazelnut butter is incorporated. It's ok if there are small lumps of yogurt and hazelnut butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until all combined.
- Heat non-stick skillet or griddle on medium high heat. Pour ¼ cup onto skillet. Cook until edges look firm and bubbles form and pop. Flip and cook other side until brown.