This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I have fond memories of my mother’s bò kho, a Vietnamese style beef stew. My mother made this stew year round, but I crave it when the weather turns cool. My parents were on a tight budget so the stew stretched the beef with potatoes and carrots. Even after I ate all the beef pieces in my bowl, there was still the vegetables and rich broth.
If you’ve only had American or French style beef stew, you’re missing out. The broth has so many layers of flavor due to the lemongrass, star anise, ginger, and other aromatics.
Most Vietnamese eat the beef stew for breakfast, the same way as we eat phở for our morning meal. As for me, I’m happy to eat this hearty, healthy stew any time of day.
I haven’t eaten a bowl of bò kho in many years, but it’s time to introduce this comfort food dish to my family. There are many variations, but this is my interpretation of my mother’s recipe. She usually serves the stew with warm French bread or over rice noodles. You can serve it over steamed rice.
This Vietnamese beef stew bò kho recipe takes a bit of time to make, but it’s totally worth it. You’ll have a pot large enough for leftovers and your home will smell amazing!
Like this recipe? Download your FREE Vietnamese Pantry Essentials E-Guide.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement. Check out the rest of the mouthwatering recipes created by our community.
Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny